Salt and Water
Incense for fire and air
Milk and Honey
Oil, for anointing
Wine for offering
Bells, Pots, Pans, Whistles, etc.
Cast a circle in the main room and after casting, visualize the circle expanding to include the entire house. Call upon the spirits and energies living in the house. Invite those who will be harmonious with the new household and its energies to remain. Invite or ask those who will be happier elsewhere to depart. Release all energies not compatible with the new household. This may be expressed as a release in order to unbind anything that may be stuck.
Then call upon, greet, and invite ancestors, patron deities, and all harmonious spirits and energies to dwell in the house as they please. Gather up the pots, pans, and all the noise-makers. Go to each door and window, not forgetting the fire-place and dog-door, making as much racket as humanly possible-to shoo out anything unwanted. Go again throughout the house and at each portal such as door, window, etc. and sprinkle salt-water saying: By the Elements I purify and charge this portal. Then anoint the portal with milk and honey, saying: By Milk and Honey I ensure prosperity and peace within this place. Finally, anoint the portal with oil, saying: With Oil I seal this portal and protect all within. At the front door a special prayer is said, asking the guardian deities the God and Goddess to freely grant entry to all friends and loved ones, and to prevent passage to any who would do harm. Then, if it's a house-pour wine across the width of the threshold; if it's an apartment anoint the threshold with light touches of wine.
The house-holders then each take a sip of wine, leaving some as an offering to the Gods, and the Circle should be closed. The remaining wine, milk, and honey should be offered to the Gods.
This can be done very effectively by two people. It only takes about 30 minutes to do a large house. Do make certain to "ground" afterward, by closing the circle and by eating. Author Unknown
Imbolc Illuminating the Cauldron Spell
Fill your cauldron with dark earth. Take nine tapered candles and plant them into the Earth in a spiral pattern beginning in the center and continuing desoil. With each candle, contemplate a different aspect of Imbolc.
1. Light the candle in the middle first, picturing light penetrating winters darkness.
2. With the second candle, welcome the spring and picture the great wheel of the year turning to the halfway point. The cauldron is the womb of the Goddess, the belly of Imbolc.
3. Think of the magic of the beginning of life and all the possibility contained as new life energies as you light the third candle. Each new dawn is a clean slate that may bring you closer to realizing your dreams.
4. With the fourth candle, imagine the circumstances surrounding your own physical birth. Picture your relationship to your biological Mother as a reflection of your relationship to the Divine Mother. All of us need mothering in one form or another. By facing your own vulnerability, you are preparing yourself for rebirth.
5. As you light the fifth candle, focus on the lesson your spiritual path has taught you. There are intimate truths that you have undoubtedly discovered. Give thanks for challenges met and knowledge gained.
6. The sixth candle represents the unknown, the lessons that lie in front of you and all the things you have yet to learn. Cultivate humility even as you recount your accomplishments.
7. Light the seventh candle and meditate on all the things you wish to change. They can be material, physical or spiritual. Use your magic to make a positive impact on your life.
8. The eighth candle represents the things you most need to heal. These include the physical ailments of yourself and of others, the suffering of the planet, rifts in relationships, and so on. Invoke healing into your life, and make room for it to begin. Release old wounds and past hurts. Take responsibility for your health in a new way. Focus on the best possible outcomes for situations that are beyond your control or influence.
9. As you light the ninth candle welcome inspiration into your practice. Ask the Goddess to illuminate her presence in a new way. Sing. Write a poem in her honor. Even if you are not particularly artistic, use the energy of the season to assist you in manifesting your magic in a tangible way. Create a special charm or a new blend of incense. Whatever method of expression, ask the Goddess to inspire you and show forth her beauty in your work. From Hearthn Home Witchery
Gather a white candle and your purification oil and a representation of the season such as a cut out of a snowflake, or if you have it, real snow. Place these items on the table that you plan to use as the altar. With a sharp object, scratch you're your wishes for the new season into the candle wax. Anoint the candle with three drops of the oil by massaging them into the writing on the candle and recite these words:
"This is the time of the feast of torches,
when every lamp blazes and shines
to welcome the rebirth of the God.
I celebrate the Goddess,
I celebrate the God;
all Earth celebrates
Beneath its mantle of sleep."
Light the candle and recite these words:
"All the land is wrapped in winter.
The air is chilled and frost envelops the Earth.
But Lord of the Sun,
Horned One of animals and wild places,
unseen you have been reborn of the gracious Mother Goddess,
Lady of all fertility.
Hail Great God!
Hail and welcome!
Stand before the altar, holding aloft the candle. Gaze at its flame. Visualize your life blossoming with creativity, with renewed energy and strength. Your ritual is now complete. Celebrate with a simple feast with friends and family.
Prayer for Imbolc
On this Imbolc day, as I kindle the flame upon my hearth,
I pray that the flame of Brigid may burn in my soul, and the souls of all I meet today.
I pray that no envy and malice, no hatred or fear, may smother the flame.
I pray that indifference and apathy, contempt and pride, may not pour like cold water on the flame.
Instead, may the spark of Brigid light the love in my soul, that it may burn brightly through this season.
And may I warm those that are lonely, whose hearts are cold and lifeless, so that all may know the comfort of Brigid's love.
Morgana West Source The Wheel of the Year, Copyright © 2001 Morgana West
Imbolc Purification Candle Oil Recipe
1/8 cup olive oil
3 drops juniper oil
2 drops eucalyptus oil
1 drop pine oil
1. Mix all ingredients together in a glass jar and use to anoint candles.
2. Store any remaining oil in refrigerator.
Celtic Tree of Rowan Protection Charm
Author: Karri Aldrich
Also known as the Mountain Ash, the Rowan tree has long enjoyed magical eminence for it's protective properties. With the festival of Imbolc just around the corner, it is a perfect time to clear your space of negative energy by making a protection charm for the remaining winter days ahead:Burn a sprig of rosemary to cleanse your home, sweeping the rooms widdershins-counter clockwise to banish stagnant energy. If possible, find a branch or twig from a Rowan-Mountain Ash tree. If Rowan is not available, use a sturdy branch of Rosemary. Wind a red ribbon around the branch and with each wind say:
"The power of Rowan protects me and thee"
Hang the branch above your door. You're done!
We try to credit all articles but sometimes don't know where they came from. Some information is our own research and some is sent into us by friends and customers. If you see something here that is yours and your not getting credit for it please contact us and we will add you as the author or remove it if requested. We want to thank everyone for sharing this wonderful information!